Jamie Foxx Biography
Quick Jamie Foxx Facts:
- Jamie Foxx was born Eric Marlon Bishop in Terrell, Texas, where he was raised.
- He began performing stand-up comedy in the late 1980s, after a successful appearance at an open mic. He adopted the name Jamie Foxx as a tribute to Redd Foxx.
- In 1991, Foxx joined the cast of the sketch comedy series In Living Color, where he quickly became a breakout star.
- He starred on his own sitcom, The Jamie Foxx Show, which aired on The WB from 1996 to 2001.
- His breakout film role came in the 1997 comedy hit Booty Call, co-starring his In Living Color cast mate Tommy Davidson. Two years later, he would show dramatic range in the Oliver Stone football drama Any Given Sunday.
- His hour-long HBO stand-up special, I Might Need Security, premiered in 2001.
- In 2004, Foxx starred in Ray, a biopic about the life of singer Ray Charles. His performance won him both a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for Best Actor. The same year, Foxx was also nominated in the Best Supporting Actor category for his work in Collateral, making him only the second male in history to be nominated in both categories in the same year.
- In 2012, he starred as the title character in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained.
Jamie Foxx on ‘In Living Color’:
After a few years playing the comedy club circuit, Foxx got his first break when he was cast in Keenan Ivory Wayans’ weekly show In Living Color, a successful sketch comedy featuring a predominately black cast. Joining the show in its third season, Foxx quickly became a star thanks to memorable characters like Wanda, the ugliest girl in the world and Duke, the dog trainer whose prize German Shepard is clearly dead. Foxx left the show during the fifth and final season; it was not renewed shortly after (but not as a result of) his departure.
Select Jamie Foxx Filmography:
- Toys (1992)
- Booty Call (1997)
- Held Up (1999)
- Any Given Sunday (1999)
- Bait (2000)
- Ali (2001)
- Collateral (2004)
- Ray (2004)
- Dreamgirls (2006)
- The Soloist (2009)
- Due Date (2010)
- Django Unchained (2012)
Additional Jamie Foxx Facts:
- In addition to his film and stand-up work, Foxx is an accomplished singer, songwriter and recording artist. He has released four music albums: Peep This in 1994, Unpredictable in 2005, Intuition in 2008 and Best Night of My Life in 2010. He also contributed backing vocals to Kanye West’s hugely successful single “Gold Digger” in 2005. The song is one of the ten most successful singles of the 2000s.
- Foxx has played piano since age 5.
- He received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2007.
- Foxx won the 1998 Image Award for his work on The Jamie Foxx Show and was nominated for the next three consecutive years.
- In 2007, Foxx launched his own channel on Sirius/XM Satellite Radio called The Foxxhole. The channel highlights both stand-up and music (including Foxx’s own material) and features talk shows on which Foxx occasionally appears, such as “The Jamie Foxx Show.”